A worksheet to practice the most common discourse markers, useful for the oral exam as well as writing parts 1 and 2.
Choose words from the box to fill in the spaces in the exercise below.
on the other hand
- I had a terrible day at work and lost my umbrella too. _________________ I spoke that nice guy who works in the coffee shop at last!
- Television turns people into lazy couch potatoes. _________________, there are some educational programmes on.
- _________________, I would like to welcome you all to the conference today.
- _________________ the film was a little boring, we still had a nice evening out.
- I’ve always known Caroline as a mean person. _________________, she lent me $10 yesterday without having to ask twice!
- I got up at 9 o’clock yesterday and had a cold shower. _________________, I had breakfast and left for work.
- My brother works in a large office _________________ I work on my own at home.
- Why don’t you think I would want to go out tonight. _________________, I would be delighted to get out of the house.
- You should go to university as it gives you a chance to meet so many new people. _________________, it gives you the chance to get important qualifications and get a better job.
- I don’t want to go to the football game. Football bores me and I don’t want to pay $40 for a ticket. _________________, look at the weather! All that rain!